The Whole Story

So...as I posted earlier, December 31st was a "Big Day" in The Plane Family, and it all started at about 2:30am. I had this sudden urge that I needed to visit the bathroom. This is really nothing new for a women 8 months pregnant. So I didn't really think anything of it, until after my visit. I stated wondering if my water had broke. I wasn't really sure, and I wasn't feeling any contractions. So I went out to the couch to lay down for a little while and see if anything happened. After watching an episode of That 70's Show I had another strong urge to go to the bathroom, and again I was left wondering if my water had broken.
After a long hot shower I had decided that it was time to call the doctor. I was having some small contractions and I needed to be checked to see if my water had broken because if it had I needed to start antibiotics since I had tested positive for the Strep-B Virus. So I called the hospital and spoke with my doctor who had just gotten home from delivering two other babies. He told me to head to the hospital and he would meet me there.
As I walked back to wake up Mike, I had a rude sensation of running water and I knew that my water was defiantly broken. As I stood in the doorway I shouted at Mike, lovingly, "Get Mark on the phone!", before dashing into the bathroom again. After some sarcastic complaining about what horrible timing I had Mike got out of bed and called our friend Mark ,who had consented months ago to watch Bella for us when we went to the hospital. Both Mark and Mike had been up all night playing games for their Christmas break until about 2 am; so neither one of them were very happy to be woke up and 3:30am.
By the time Mark got to the house I was really starting to have some strong contractions. Izabella had woke up and was not happy about mommy and daddy leaving in the middle of the night, yet she was very excited to have Mark staying with her.
When I got in the car I started timing my contractions because I knew the nurses would ask me how far apart they were when we got to the hospital. In the short 10 min ride it took to get to the hospital my contractions were coming about 3 mins apart. At 4:20 am I was gowned and ready for some drugs, however the nurses informed me that I would have to be checked in before I would receive any. Getting checked in took forever, and I'm not joking. It really did feel like an eternity. Within about 30 minutes my contractions were only 1 minute apart and I was in a lot of pain. Finally they decided to check if my water had broke and if I was dilated at all. Sure enough my water had broken and I was 3 cm dilated. At this time the nurse left to get my IV ready and to find out what I could have for pain. 10 mins later she had just gotten in my IV and I told her that I really felt the urge to push. It had only been 15 mins since my last check but she thought she would check again.
Her eyes got very big as she realized I was completely dilated and the babies head was right there. All it took was her going to the door and 6 other nurses came flying into the room and luckily their was a doctor asleep in the doctors rest room that they were able to wake up because 2 contractions, 1 push and about 5 mins later my little Abigail was in the world, at 5:23am.
She weighed 6 lbs 11 oz and was 20 in long. She had a head full of dirty blond hair and was perfect. The doctor and nurses were all concerned that I hadn't received any antibiotics and rushed her to the NICU to run some tests. Two minutes after our little angle was born my doctor walked into the room. He couldn't believe that he had missed it, again! (He had to have surgery two years ago and missed delivering Izabella as well).
All I could say was, "See Mike, I told you I could do it with no Drugs!" To tell you the truth, I really think this is the way to go. Here I am 2 days later and I feel like a new person. I feel GREAT!! And I do have to say ladies, I didn't scream once!! If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't do anything different.
And just as a side note, after delivering Izabella Mike informed me that labor was nothing like the movies. After this delivery he had a different thought.
"That was just like the movies without all the dramatic screaming. You could have even ran the whole delivery in a single episode!" Leave it to Mikey to make a comment like that.
I think he also appreciated being able to go home and be back in bed before 10:00am.

3 comments:

Anika said...

Thanks for telling us the whole story!! I was waiting for it. ;-) I'm so impressed you did the no drugs thing.......I so hope I get to the hospital on time - I'm not even gonna try it! I'm glad you both are healthy and doing great!

Stephen, Terren & Peyton said...

I am glad I am not the only person who wasn't sure if my water broke! =) I couldn't feel my contractions though. I can't believe how fast you dialated and then she came out! That's amazing! Glad she is okay with the Strep stuff! Like Anika, I was also waiting for the story and it's a good one =)

Emily said...

You are one brave woman. I'm still not sure that I would survive the whole natural labor thing. We are so excited to see the baby!!